Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wimbledon and a Cardinal

What a match! I, who seldom spends much time in front of the TV, spent somewhere around 4 hours watching a wonderful match for the championship. I so wanted Andy Roddick to win, but it was not to be. He played wonderfully, but Roger Federer won it. Both players played their hearts out and didn't falter much. At Wimbledon, there is no tie breaker in the 5th set, so these two actually played a total of 30 games in the final set where Federer won 16 - 14.

While I was watching I was sketching. I have been trying to get a reasonable resemblance to a male cardinal for some time now. Usually they end up too skinny. Today I was determined to get it right. I began with a bird lightly sketched in pencil, then added a bit of color with some watercolor pencils. It looked pretty good, but it wasn't done. I then added some Caran d'Ache Neocolor II crayons and finally finished it up by using a tortillon to blend the color.




I think I am going to continue to work on birds for awhile. I love them so, especially the little wren who is even now singing loudly just off the deck in her house.

I'll post about the Farmers' Market tomorrow and put up pix to go with it.

Bye!

2 comments:

  1. I watched most of the Wimbledon match too. It was so close! I felt a little badly for Roddick.

    I too love birds and I think your male cardinal is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Every bird you do just gets better and better. hugs nancy

    ReplyDelete