Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2009

AEDM-Day 29 Woot! Woot!

I am down to the second to last day of AEDM and have so far done something creative every day. Some days I've actually done more than one creative endeavor.

Yesterday I had a lovely, unexpected get together with my friend Tina from Marshall. She was driving to Jackson to shop at JoAnn's and called me to see if I wanted to meet her there. I was thrilled. I wasn't planning to go anywhere, but with a chance to spend some time with a like-minded person (granted she is way more talented than I am and does a much wider variety of art than I do), I jumped at the chance. We had such fun.

When I got to JoAnn's, Tina was just finishing up at the cutting table. We then wandered over to the stamps and such and I bought a non-stick craft sheet (about a week ago, I bought one, but failed to notice that it was much smaller than the one I was trying to replace. This time I got the 15" x 18". I'd like to go into a craft store and find that they stocked that on a tube, like fabric, so you could buy a piece large enough to cover your work surface. I also bought a Stampendous stamp called a Follate Quad Cube. It has a different leafy stamp on each of four surfaces.

We then wandered around the scrapbooking area where Tina introduced me to the "Core Color" papers. I am in love. I bought a handful of them in various colors. It just so happens that there is a book display right next to the papers and since I had a 50% off coupon I bought a book called "4000 Alphabet & Letter Motifs" by Graham Leslie McCallum. I also bought a book called "Silhouettes" by Sharyn Sowell. I love them both.

From there, I took her over to Encore!, a second-hand store on Wildwood. She loved it and made even more purchases than I did. You'll have to read her blog to see if she shares with you what she bought. Meanwhile, I will tell you that I bought a lovely wreath of Christmas sleigh bells to hang on the front door knob, a cut wooden sleigh napkin holder (with napkins), a bingo game, the game Pit (I couldn't help myself - we used to play this game when I was a kid - even Mom and Dad would play and it was a lively and loud game). I also bought some picture hanging wire (I think this would be a good steampunk item),

After that browsing and purchasing fun, Tina told me that she was planning to go to Penney's, so I suggested Applebee's for lunch. We both were thinking about being "good" and having a salad, but we both decided instead to have a steak and take leftovers home to the hubsters. Yummy! Our waitress was extremely nice and friendly, so while we were visiting with her I found out she had just moved into an apartment and needed "things" so I pointed her in the direction of Encore! because I know she will find dishes and silverware in good shape there.

When we went to Penney's, Tina got nearly all of her Christmas shopping done. They had really wonderful deals and she had some coupons on top of it.

I finally did spend some time playing with art (but surely browsing and visiting with an arty friend counts as being creative) and decided to use the colors being used as the challenge at Play Date Cafe both to make a pattern and to color enhance a photo. What fun!



 

I am so enjoying these unexpectedly sunny and beautiful days in late November and am so thankful for the time I have, the friends I have, the internet friends I have who are so supportive and warm, and my wonderful hubster who supports my attempts to be creative and artful.

See you tomorrow!


11 comments:

  1. Very creative way to make these colors work for you!

    Sounds like you had a tremendously busy time shopping!

    So glad you are playing with us at the Play Date Cafe....love to see you visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab pattern!!! And the colour enhanced photo looks great to. I enjoyed reading about your day out with your friend, sounds like a fun, creative day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun day out! Love that poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pattern. While I am not sure what it is, the play date cafe sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good lord, this is fabulous! I am a color nut and this popped right off the screen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki, you are talented, too! I really enjoyed our time together and LOVED being introduced to Encore. Reading about everything on your blog made it fun all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki, how fun to see your post and a giant THANK YOU! for buying my book, Silhouettes! I was about to invite you for a visit to my studio... I thought you lived near me since Encore is my favorite place for cute clothes and there were several other coincidences in your post... but now I see you are in Michigan and I'm in Washington state! Too bad. But if you get to the Pacific Northwest, you can come and visit my fun studio. Wishing you creative bliss!

    www.sharynsowell.com
    www.sharynsowellartblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://theartfulcodger.wordpress.comNovember 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM

    Hey, count me in!! I am curious about steampunk myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my goodness what an action packed day. Thanks for joining us at the Play Date Cafe. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. very creative.. and what a beautiful pattern.. Thanks for playing with us at The Cafe'~HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful pattern you created with the challenge colors, and love what you did with the flower--beautiful! So glad you could play with us at The Cafe' this week!

    ReplyDelete