Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year

Well this is the last day of 2009 and I think I am ready for 2010, or at least I will be when I get the new blank journal I ordered from Dick Blick. I think I have accomplished much of what I set out to do at this time last year. I completed my first art journal and have continued to follow the plan of practice, practice, practice.

I have more goals for 2010; they are similar to last year in that I want to continue to grow as an artist, to try new things, to dare to go outside of my comfort zone, to be creative everyday. Already in 2010 I have registered for two workshops: one is at Hollander's in Ann Arbor and is for making a concertina journal from a found book and the other is several workshops over three days at Artiscape in Columbus, Ohio. I must thank my dear friends Nancy and Tina for telling me about these respective opportunities and for also registering. I have taken a couple of workshops (both at Hollander's), but have always gone alone. I think both of these workshops will be so much more enjoyable going with a friend.

I would also like to develop my non-dominant hand a bit. I got this idea from my friend, Nancy. For one she is taking a creative lettering class and is a leftie (southpaw?) and she is trying to write right handed and is doing quite well at it (in kicks the competitive aspect for me)  and for another she loaned me a book about the brain and the amazing changes that occur with stimulus. I am about half way through and am fascinated with it. It is called "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, M. D. I wish I could see just a tad better with my right eye. I would be tempted to try wearing a patch over my good eye for a bit of time each day to see if I could strengthen it. There was a thought that if I had worn a patch when I was a child, my right eye would focus, but the old school of thought was that if it wasn't done at an early age it would be too late. I have mostly only peripheral vision in my right eye (which is a good thing especially when it comes to driving), but I am unable to focus with it.


Here is my first attempt at writing printing with my left hand. It turned out better than I expected, but was very difficult and awkward.



I have also begun another journal page with a face. This time I have tried not to have "her" straight on. I have no idea how she will develop, but when I am finished with my morning coffee, I will don my painting apron and see what transpires. I will take pix as I go and share them.

 
 Sorry about the picture quality.



I am so looking forward to a new year and all the wonders and changes it promises.

Happy New Year to you. If you are out and about celebrating and drinking, please don't drive.

xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Vicki your work is just better and better and better.

    Her face is beautiful.

    Happy New Year to new friends.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year vicki! i think your non-dominant hand did a great job - it just needed the chance to fly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking a calligraphy class now too and wondering if it wouldn't be easier doing it right handed. I actually did a few strokes and they weren't too bad. I think I will practice more.

    That face looks like a self portrait judging by your avatar. It looks really nice so far.

    I know what you mean about that competitive aspect kicking in, lol. Gotta go practice with my right hand now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact you are strengthening your non-dominant hand. (Something I never would have thought of...)

    And the face is beautiful. I will be working on my drawing this year as well and am SOOOO looking forward to it....

    ReplyDelete