Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

A.W.O.L

If you've been looking for me and haven't found me in the past couple of days it's no wonder. I have been working hard to get a business website up and running. You see the hubster makes lovely wood crafts and I would like to also sell some of the arty things I make. After all how can I keep making them if I don't sell them. I need the space they are taking up and I need a bit of income from them to buy more supplies to make more.

Making your own business website is more work than I expected it to be. So far I have:

1. Purchased a domain name.
2. Bought a shopping cart.
3. Opened a business account with Paypal.
4. Selected and paid for a company to host my catalog and take care of the processing of orders.
5. Begun the very long and very difficult task of taking pictures of the items I want to sell.

Number 5 is the most difficult and time consuming of the list. First I have to get a clear, uncluttered picture of the item. Then I need to import it into Photoshop and do the editing (cropping, color correcting, etc.). I need to weigh the item and I need to decide on a price. Finally I have to go to the inventory control page of the host and input all the information and upload a picture. This must be done over and over again for each item.

So far I have four small accordion books I made with lovely arty pictures in them. Two of them are pictures of kaleidoscopes I made from pictures of flowers I took in my garden over the years. I also have several of the hubster's products - suet feeders, bird house, cribbage boards, and garden signs.

I still have to take pictures and upload my altered dominoes and my collage pieces on wood.


Here is a small sampling of the products I have listed so far:



I still need to get with UPS when I am ready to call it ready so that if I get orders as I get orders I can get them boxed up and picked up at my place.

In just a bit I am going to Charlotte to take my sister out second-hand-store shopping and to lunch to celebrate her birthday. Then I am driving to Stockbridge to tutor and finally home to my daughter and her two little ones who are coming for dinner. Another full, fun day!

Tomorrow we have the girls and I am leaving around dinner time to meet up with some friends in Marshall to make the drive to Fremont for a meeting of MIABA. We will arrive late (it is about a 3.5 hour drive I think) and stay overnight at a motel that is already reserved so that we can do art all day the next day. The get together is being held at an art place and the projects we are working on are all about transfers. I am so in love with transfers and am looking forward to trying these and visiting with friends and talking about art all day.

For today I am working more on the business site this morning before going to Charlotte and again this evening after dinner. What I'd really like is for someone to look at the business site and give me their first impressions and either reassurance or ideas for improvement or both.

Do I have any takers?

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. I kept waiting for you to post a link to the new shop website. Send me a link and I will do my best to offer honest advice from a business viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Vickie - how exciting! I would be happy to look at your new site and offer my opinion - such as it is. Lol.

    My DH and I went pro with our craft website almost six years ago. It IS a lot of work but we love it.

    Good luck!!

    P.S. Where is it so I can go visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy, busy, girl! Good luck with your new business venture .... there's no doubt in my mind that it will go well for you! Have a wonderful art trip with your MIABA group! hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki, I gave you a blog award (see my blog to details) because your blog is so awesome! And I think you are one who updates it more often than anyone I know. And now you've started a business, congratulations! Post the business site and I'll take a look too.

    ReplyDelete