Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rubens Copy 2nd Attempt

It is the wee hours of the morning and I am still futzing around in the art room. I have been attempting to improve on the nose and mouth of the Rubens boy child that I showed you in yesterday's post. I am still not completely satisfied, but think they are a bit better.

I am supposed to have started a watercolor class through the Artists of the Round Table Yahoo! group to which I belong, but have not yet received lesson 1. I am hoping to add some color to these drawings as I progress.

So here is my latest:

 

And here is the original again:

 

And here are the first attempt (on the left) and the most recent fix (on the right) side by side for a better comparison.

 

I see right away that I am missing a tiny bit of face between the lips and the hair. That will be fixed in the next iteration.
I would like to know if my second attempt is an improvement or not. I think the lips are in a better position compared to the nose, but I think I have compromised the shape of the nose a bit.

Your input is appreciated and is invaluable in my tinkering.

I'd better get to bed. Morning comes mighty early.

xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki: Hope it is ok! I sent you the body of the watercolor class directions. On your face! Drawing it is wonderful! However, the face is not Concave, it is Convex. Please compare your face with an Egg. I think you will see you have the face falling in on itself. The original- though a very strong jaw line is fooling your eye- I think. Push the face out- draw an oval from the tip of the nose all the way around.
    Then your face pushed out will be excellent - and self satisfying.

    Sherrie Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think it's better. It is really rather hard to see detail in the original to copy from! I would love to see how you add color to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been away for a couple of weeks and am just blown away by what you're up to, Vicki.

    Your rendition is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely Masterful!!!!! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chin and the lower lip need to come back some. If you would put your sketch side by side with original, you'll see what I mean. The chin is a little short and needs to slant back a bit. When you do that, the lower lip will move back and then you should see the curve of the face start to take shape. Keep up the great work because you're doing great. The more you tackle these difficult subjects, the more you will learn. But, I think you already knew that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely an improvement, and the lines are more defined.
    Thank you so much for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try investing in some charcoal pencils and us them for a new project, the pencils you use do not allow you to get the affects that you seek. Also, don't be afraid to use your fingers for blending! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm...I think you were closer on the nose before. You sort of lost the negative space in the ball area. Also, try drawing a line in the edge of his lips in the original, and then compare that to the angle of the lips you've drawn. Keep going though, sometimes what we draw first is better but it is better to keep going!

    ReplyDelete