Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Photo of the Day, Watercolor Workshop and EDM #136

I didn't get back to my still life to add some dimension yesterday, but I did get to the library, sketch my tree frog, and had two little girls stay overnight. Miss 7 and Miss 2 stayed overnight last night and slept with me in my bed. At about 4 am Miss 2 woke up and was very talkative and was telling great stories. Miss 7 was half way down the bed sleeping horizontally and Miss 2 was at the top of the bed lying horizontally with her head on my pillow. I suppose it is no wonder that my back hurts this morning.

Here is today's photo:

I'm not sure this a great picture, but it draws me in everytime I look at it. It is a reflection of the rock retaining wall on the road bridge over the creek in my yard.

I also sketched my tree frog from yesterday's post as EDM #136 Something That's Alive. I tried to use a bit of crosshatching for the shadow, but am not altogether happy with it. I really need to refine my drawing skills as they pertain to shadows.



And perhaps most exciting of all, yesterday on Kristameister's blog she told about her experience in a 3-day workshop with Joe Fettingis and showed an egret she painted in that class and she described the class as life-changing. I sent her an email to ask her about it and she responded, "RUN, do not walk and see if you can get into one of his classes." 

I did a quick search online and found that he is teaching a 3-day workshop in St. Joseph the weekend of September 10-12. Knowing that it would already be full, I emailed him to ask if there was room and he responded with a phone number to call and told me that there was one seat left. I called and then sent in my registration. I am waiting to see if I made it. The best thing about the St. Joe location is that my sister lives just 15 minutes away and I will combine a trip to visit her with this workshop. I can't wait!!! And you know I will share my experience with you.

Gotta go; there is a 2 year old bugging me to play and do art.

xoxo

8 comments:

  1. I love reflections in photographs, as much as I love them in paintings. (That's one reason Monet's water lilies in Paris are such a muse for me.) I'll bet you could do that same photo in many seasons, with clouds, snow, leaves, spring flowers... It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo, too, and can see why it draws you in. The tree frog is adorable (she said, not he said), but then you know I'm a tad weird. lol I'm jealous of your watercolor workshop, but good for you!! hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your tree frog is really good, for the shadow it needs is its edges softening that's all.
    Lucky you, I hope you get a place in the workshop, sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you! Sounds like you are having fun and doing great with your art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Vicki! I heard from Nancy that you got the last spot in the workshop! You'll have to tell me all about it. I think I'll take the workshop in Ann Arbor in 2011 too, whenever he posts it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news about the workshop in St. Joseph! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There's a saying: When the student is ready, the teacher appears." This seems to hold true in your case. HA

    Love the reflection photo...I'm always drawn to them too. I once sold one of my photos of a reflection of a catamaran's rainbow colored sail on the water. It was beautiful, if I do say so myself.

    Can't wait to hear all about the workshop...I know Krista was mightily impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful sketch of that frog and I agree with Cathy, it only needs a little softening at the edges. And how exciting about the workshop! I do hope you make it in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice sketch of the froggy! I was passing by Rayne the other day and I saw the sign that said.. "Frog capital of the WORLD!" =) It's pretty funny.
    Nice shot too!

    ReplyDelete