Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm Back Home

I had such a wonderful time with my sister and her husband last week and I feel blessed to have that sister close enough to me that I can drive over and spend time with her. While I was there she took me to the The Box Factory in St. Joe where we met Robin Maxon, a graphic designer by trade, and a very good watercolorist.  Unfortunately, the meet up with Dee didn't come to pass, but she and I begin our Artful Journaling class with Laure Ferlita today and are planning to meet some time in the near future while we are working on it.



I have been thrilled to see that the Tigers are doing so well and absolutely fell out of my chair on Saturday night when Brandon Inge hit the walk off home run just after I called it. It has been such a wonderful summer to be a Tiger fan. I also had a great deal of fun watching much of the US Open. I was thrilled to see Samantha Stosur win yesterday. She is a wonderful player and really deserved this championship.


I was expecting to have my little Miss 6 months yesterday and overnight, but her Mom didn't have to work, but I was able to hang out with her for awhile here and she was a wonderful addition to my Sunday afternoon. Here she is "reading" on a blanket in the living room.




She didn't stay there for long. For a baby who doesn't yet crawl, she sure gets around.


I spent a bit of time getting my easel set up and trying my hand at a basic watercolor landscape following along with Matthew Palmer using a video from You Tube. I didn't have the colors he used and I didn't follow along exactly, but I did remember not to overwork it. Here it is in its entirety:







I'm am not overly pleased with it - too linear, too predictable - I don't know exactly. I put a digital mat over parts of it that I might decide to crop it to and would like some input.


I think this is the one I like the best.













I would really appreciate any input - constructive criticism is always welcome here.


Today my friend, Nancy, and I are taking a Zentangle class at Small But Mighty Arts with Kip and I am really looking forward to it. I've played with Zendoodles a bit in the past, but have never formally been introduced to the Zentangle. 


Meanwhile, my house is begging for a good cleaning, but I am putting my hands over my ears and saying blah, blah, blah out loud so I can't hear it. 


I am planning to try a very loose watercolor of a vase of flowers from a photo my sister sent to me yesterday and hope to have something to share with you tomorrow. 


xoxo

7 comments:

  1. I think I like the first and second best, the upright ones. I like how the yellow bleeds into the sky! I'm going to have a look at all the sites you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I like the first crop too. It looks great to me Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vertical cropped ones 1 and 2 win for me too! I like the contrast of the wide landscape cut short and tall with the crop. Creating an interesting tension. The colors are really nice and cheerful too. ~ Kristen from CED

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you could crop it - that's one solution, and the first cropping you choose is good. If what you don't like is the linear predictability then another solution may be to add objects of interest to break it up. Examples: It is as though you are viewing from across the lake - you might be looking over branches and leaves. There is plenty of room in the bottom to add them. You could add a sun or birds. If you were to keep the whole piece, perhaps you can add some reds or oranges for interest in the sky. Maybe what bothers you is that it is monochromatic. Look at some photos of sunsets for guidance. Then again, you can just crop it! Cropped #1 is fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pick the first one too! Well done!

    And thank you for the enthusiastic welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like vertical crop #1, but also #2 as well. What a smart idea, to check it this way. Sorry I didn't get to see you while you up this way over the weekend, but with any luck we'll get together before the AJF class is over. Keep working on your art -- I admire your confidence and work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks great... all of them. But if I have to pick, I guess I'll just go with the first one =) The baby is super adorable!

    ReplyDelete