Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Last Try for the Polish Woman

I really wanted to add some values to the sketch of the Polish woman and was reminded by my dear friend, Nancy, about squinting to see where the values change. I couldn't wait to do the next layer. However, I think either the paper is didn't handle my layers very well or the paper I had under my hand moved too much and made the shading smeary, or I don't know exactly what went wrong, but instead of another layer of shading, I think she just looks messy.


I am so sad. I was beginning to really love her. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'd love to make another attempt, but need to decide what to do differently. I am thinking I may try it on a better paper and try to handle it less. I am not at all happy with the lines emanating from her upper lip. They are much too pronounced.

I just returned from my daughter's house where I picked up Miss M and Miss P. We have a busy day planned. Miss M and Papa are going north to visit the Maple Street Mall and do a bit of last minute Christmas shopping and Miss P and I are heading south to do some Christmas shopping and shop for Christmas dinner.

I don't know if I will have time to start a new sketch today or not, but I am almost sure to do some kind of art with my girl tribe and I will share whatever I do with you tomorrow.

I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season and that you are finding time for yourself. 

xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki, don't get too downhearted, you have made a great effort, you have achieved a recognizable image from the photo. Using just pencil is very difficult but is a great way of learning about tones or values. Dont know what pencil you were using but it helps to use different leads. When I am using just pencil I use 2,4 and 6 HB, I put in the darks with the 6 and use the 4 for the mid tones and sketch with the 2 hb, I also use an eraser to take out the lighest values.
    I wouldn't do any more to your sketch rather I would try another and just keep practising.
    Happy Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is much to love about this drawing, and you really learned a lot. Pencil can be very difficult and sometimes unforgiving. There are parts of this drawing that work really well - I hope you feel better about her now that you've had a bit of time! hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Vicki,
    First of all I think the shading is nowhere near as bad as you think it is. The light & shade gives it a more solid feel. Values are so important to bring life to your drawings/paintings. I agree with Phil, if you use a few different pencils you are less likely to overwork the paper. Make sure you have a soft lead for the darks (as phil says 6B would be ideal). The only problem with soft leads is they can smear/smudge - I place a piece of paper over the section I am resting my hand and try to start top left. Also, when I am finished I spray the drawing lightly with fixative.
    I love using graphite but it can be hard to use - you have done really well. If you feel you must do more, try on another drawing (you wouldn't want to lose what you already have and you can compare...'Go Compare...' - sorry, one for the Brits to cringe over).
    Stew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil, Nancy, Stew,

    Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice. I am ready to make another go at this lovely Polish woman and the first decision I've made is to try using the smoother side of some 140# watercolor cold press paper to see if the paper choice will also make a difference.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to try different papers. I am always doing the same thing. I find the smooth papers are great for better detail but rougher paper has more tooth so holds the graphite better.
    Stew.

    ReplyDelete