Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fun with Neocolors, Self Portrait, Dutch (not German)

I am so impressed with the response to my faux pas about the origins of the book in which I am doing my nature sketches. The reason I couldn't get a translation from the text when choosing German to English was simply that the book isn't written in German - it is Dutch. This fact was paramount in my decision to make my next sketch "Dutchman's Breeches" or more formally "Dicentra Cucullaria". I used my Caran d'Ache Neocolor II wax crayons and while it was fun, they are rather blunt so the picture lacks a bit of clarity. But then, so do I some days.....





I was having such fun with the creaminess of the wax crayons that I decided to try a self portrait with them. It is quite messy and I think I went too fast and didn't do enough blending, but I'll share it anyway and I can't wait to try it again - hopefully with better results.





I was thinking about snacking and am trying really hard not to, so I decided to use the same reference photo of myself to try a pencil sketch. I don't think the drawing is too bad - it looks like a person, but I don't seem to have caught a likeness.




I did Zumba for the second time last night - the first time being on Monday of this week. I can't believe how much more smoothly it went this time. Wow! What a workout! I am so looking forward to the next time. When I got home around 8, the hubster was watching the baseball game and informed me that the steak that I had gotten out of the freezer was still frozen solid. I made a wonderful green salad with cherry tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, dried cherries, some exquisite prime crab meat, and topped it with just a little honey mustard dressing - nectar of the gods! I was so out of it from the exercise that I couldn't stay awake and was in bed before 10.


Today I am planning to get around and drive into town to the life drawing class. I am taking some Colourfix suede paper and trying to do my sketching with some small, round, water-soluble items that I got as surprise gifts at a colored pencil class I took with Kristy Kutch. I don't remember what they are, but they are cute as can be and I also got a plastic holder with them. Does anybody know what they are?


After my life drawing, I am going to go to the dollar store and buy some hair spray - being the queen of wash and wear all my life, I've never owned hair spray before - to use as a fixative in my pastel journal so I can go on to the next page without smooshing the two finished sketches together. Maybe while I am looking around there I will find just the right thing for the niche of my altered book so I can finally cut that dang thing and get playing in the front of it by making art and collage and just generally messing about.


Miss Z is coming this afternoon and is spending the night. I am looking forward to that. She is such a joy - busy, busy, but a lovely, loving 1 year old. For now I need to get this body in motion.


xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Good for you for using a cheapo hairspray for a fixative instead of the wildly expensive art supply store fixative..which I suspect darkly is the same thing in a different container...the hairspray works just fine.

    Before you fix, though, have you thought of making a monotype from a pastel drawing? just press another sheet of paper over it, roll with a brayer or something like it, and lift. Doesn't hurt the original drawing, and you might find you have a nice second image! great fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, do you draw right on the printed page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lorna,

      In this case, I am sketching right on the printed page.

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. The crayons are wonderful to play with, and clearly you had fun! You pencil sketch is quite good and resembles you quite a bit, I might add. Also, when my Workable Fixative is gone, I'm going to use hairspray, too! hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete