Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Watercolor Still Life Finish and A New Beginning

Miss Z was with us from the time I got home from my Friday personal training class until around 1:30 yesterday afternoon. She is so much fun, but so much work, and she is growing so fast. She is quite the talker these days and is such fun to talk with. Here she is in the little girls' room playing with a bear that is as big as she is,





After she'd gone home, I decided to add some shadows to my still life and then put a light layer of paint over the entire picture and put scrunched up plastic wrap over it all to dry. This is what I have as my finished painting.




Somewhere, but I can't seem to find my reference, I read about an interesting method of painting in which you draw sections on your drawing and then paint each section separately so that your painting is fragmented a bit. Here is what I've drawn - does anyone know what this is called or maybe where I've encountered this idea?




Today I am planning to finally work on the Van Gogh flowers on a windowsill. I will try to use various grays of watercolor pencil to make a value study and get it posted to the Watercolour Pencil Buddies group. And perhaps I will begin the fragmented watercolor painting.


For now, I need more coffee before heading for my conditioning class. And then, except for a bit of dusting and bathroom cleaning, I will have time to spend in my art room playing. My Mom turns 88 on Wednesday and I am picking up a sister nearby and heading for the Far North to help celebrate. I am really looking forward to the visit as I will see lots of sisters and a few brothers and it will surely be a great time.


What about you? How are you doing these days? Are you finding time for art? Do you have anything you'd like to share with me? If you leave a comment, I can follow your link back to your blog. You wouldn't believe how many of the blogs I subscribe to have been found in that way.


xoxo

9 comments:

  1. That's some cool effects! :D
    I wish I could give you some tips, but since I don't do much of a reference when it comes to drawing, I really have nothing much to offer. Sorry :(
    Can't wait to see the Van Gogh

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable! Love your scrunched plastic layer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course she is just as cute as can be .... maybe we should fix her up with Oliver! You did a wonderful job with this painting - I love it! I'll see you Wednesday! hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that Miss Z is just the cutest thing. Your still life is very nice with the scrunchy look. As for the divided out still life and painting each section...I haven't heard of that but I bet that will be a neat effect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Z is so cute ~ your artwork is very creative ~ not sure what the other is called as method ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    Been busy with trying to figure out why my eyes and sinuses were bothering me ~ my rug and too much time on the computer ~ so reorganized my posts and post times ~ seems to be helping and new rug in near future ~ ^_^ LOL ~ aren't you glad you asked ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Z looks filled with energy! :)
    I haven't seen what you're talking about and will be interested if you show us more about that technique.
    Have a super Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the effect created by the plastic wrap - I'll have to give that a try next time I get out the watercolors.

    Today I'll hopefully be making some more mail art - 365 looks very far away when I have yet to hit double digits. I have some that I've sent out to post later today, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your finished painting is beautiful, Miss Z is More So!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vicki, love your painting and such a good idea to use plastic wrap to add texture. Your little Miss Z is adorable!

    ReplyDelete